Monday, December 13, 2010

Why are You Cast Down, O My Soul?

Psalm 42

Three times the author mentions the "cast down" condition of his soul--spiritual depression. In the midst of a season of spiritual dryness where is our hope found?

Certainly we flee to mere oases, not the true living water. It takes a season of spiritual drought to examine and refocus our hope to verse 5:

"My soul is cast down within me; THEREFORE I remember you."

This is not just remembering God--It is continually returning to the cross, where Jesus' soul was ultimately downcast so our souls would be forever joyous in eternity. Jesus subjected himself to the great thirst, to infinite tears--He was the one truly mocked as he hung on the cross, "Where is your God?" Jesus was forgotten, subject to unbearable mourning, turmoil, and oppression, So that our souls may be remembered. That our thirst may be forever quenched by the grace and peace of our true Father. That we may forever rejoice in the steadfast love of the Lord in the midst of our spiritual depression. Jesus was downcast so our souls may be uplifted. 

Verse 11 "Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God."

No comments:

Post a Comment