Wednesday, May 21, 2014

"To Lie in the Dust"

The following is Edwards' recollection of an hour long walk. Wish my walks resulted in stuff like this!

" Once, as I rid out into the woods for my health, having lit from my horse in a retired place, as my manner commonly has been, to walk for divine contemplation and prayer; I had a view, that for me was extraordinary, of the glory of the Son of God...The person of Christ appeared ineffably excellent, with an excellency great enough to swallow up all thought and conception." The ecstasy lasted "about an hour; which kept me, the bigger part of the time, in a flood of tears, and weeping aloud." During this time he felt "an ardency of soul," which he could describe only as "to be emptied and annihilated; to lie in the dust, and to be full of Christ alone; to log whim with a holy and pure love."

Just another standard walk for ol' Jonny I guess.

Quoted in Marsden's "Jonathan Edwards-A life" p. 185

No comments:

Post a Comment